In January of 2016, we embarked on a new adventure as GW Libraries and Academic Innovation. As part of a strategic reorganization, the departments responsible for GW’s online learning programs, academic technology, and faculty teaching initiatives have all merged into our new, robust organization.
I am excited about the new opportunities this realignment offers to further academic excellence at GW. Pulling the GW Libraries, Academic Technologies, Online Learning, and the University Teaching & Learning Center together is an excellent opportunity to seamlessly meet the instructional needs of our faculty. This deeper collaboration between previously separate areas will additionally enhance the learning environment for our 25,000 students.
In 2015, we embarked on an ambitious new strategic plan to both align with GW’s Vision 2021 plan for the university and to realize our shared vision of the Libraries as “a nexus where exciting things happen, where change happens, where growth happens.” Our new, combined organization places us in an even stronger position to meet these goals:
- Be the nexus for cross-disciplinary collaboration on campus.
- Through tools, spaces, consultation, and collaboration, help the GW community explore, create, and discover information in new ways.
- Build robust and unique specialized collections to attract world class scholars.
- Building upon our demonstrated commitment to innovative pedagogy, develop methods for expanding the reach of research instruction across the curriculum, being responsive to the needs of GW's diverse student body.
- Provide leadership on scholarly communication for the university.
We have entered an exciting period of change and growth and I look forward to this new collaborative effort to generate, make accessible, and preserve new knowledge and understanding with the GW community.
Dean of Libraries and Academic Innovation
Courtney Vaughn, Special Assistant
firstname.lastname@example.org | 202-994-0985