External Guest Visitation
During the Fall 2021 semester, visitor access to the library buildings is only available for:
- Users of specialized collections with an appointment* (including the Special Collections Research Center and Global Resources Center),
- Students/staff of the School Without Walls, and
- Name must be on the School Without Walls list at the Entrance Desk
- Must present a School Without Walls ID and sign-in/out at the Service Desk each time they visit the library
- Attendees of scheduled events*.
*Specialized collections users and event attendees must be escorted at all times.
LAI employees can make an exception for professional visitors (not friends or family, but donors, vendors or professional contacts) who need access to the building. These visitors must be escorted at all times while in the building. Visitor names must be submitted to the visitor management software at least 24-hours in advance of the visit (process TBD).
Parking Validation for Guests
Parking validation is available for guests visiting GWLAI librarians and staff. Review the GWLAI Parking Validation Policy and Procedures.
Meeting Rooms and Classrooms
Conference Rooms and Huddle Spaces
|Desktop Computer||Display Screen||Wireless Presentation||Web Conferencing||Desktop Phone||Conference Phone||Support Telephone|
|106 (huddle space)||Laptop||Yes||–||–||4-9322||–|
|220C (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Clickshare||Yes||–||4-7615||Yes|
|303A (huddle space)||–||w/ HDMI cord||–||–||4-5846||–||–|
|303B (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Clickshare||Yes||4-0632||Yes|
|502 (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Clickshare||Yes||–||4-3343||Yes|
|602E (huddle space)||–||w/ HDMI cord||Crestron AirMedia||Yes||4-5836||–||–|
|605A (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Clickshare||Yes||–||4-4018||Yes|
|606Q (conference room)||-||Yes||Clickshare||Yes||–||4-7790||-|
|706 (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Clickshare||Yes||–||4-6641||Yes|
|710 (meeting space)|
Research Assistance and Consultation Spaces
Library Instruction Classrooms
Note that these spaces are reservable only through Academic Scheduling
Gelman Classroom and Conference Room Extensions
- Conference Room 106: 202-994-9322
- Conference Room 220C: 202-994-7615
- Classroom 300: 202-994-0633
- Classroom 301: 202-994-7246
- Classroom 302: 202-994-7147
- Huddle Space 303A: 202-994-5846
- Conference Room 303B: 202-994-0632
- Conference Room 502: 202-994-3343
- Huddle Space 602E: 202-994-5836
- Conference Room 605A: 202-994-4018
- Conference Room 606Q: 202-994-7790
- Room 702 (IBT): 202-994-7444
- Dean's Conference Room 703: 202-994-5088
- Conference Room 706: 202-994-6641
Facilities and Maintenance
For any issues with the Gelman Library building and facilities:
Submit a ticket to Library Building Operations
Email [email protected]
Staff can reserve conference and meeting rooms using their Google calendar.
Adding rooms to your Google calendar
- Open your calendar and click the plus icon (+) to the right of the "Add a coworker's calendar" box. Select Browse resources. Note: if you know the name of the room, you can type it directly in the "Add a coworker's calendar" box.
- Select FB-Gelman. A list of rooms will appear.
- Choose the building from the list and subscribe to rooms you want to see and book.
Scheduling a conference/meeting room
- Highlight the day and time you wish to schedule your meeting
- Enter a name for your meeting in the highlighted box
- Click More Options at the bottom of the dialog box. This will bring up a new page.
- Click the grey Rooms on the far right beside Guests.
- Buildings appear in the box below Rooms. Scroll to find your building and click the carat beside it to display all the available rooms at that day and time.
- Click the room you want to schedule.
- Click the red Save button at the top of the page to finish your reservation.
Access for Meetings
Rooms 502, 706, and 708D require a code for entrance.
Access for Offices
If you are a new employee or need a personal key to your own office space please contact Entrance Services.
Gelman Mail Handling
The Gelman Library loading dock is located at 2130 H Street, NW, Room 103-A. Its primary purpose is to receive and ship library mail, materials and related equipment. It is also the main entry point for most Facilities Services units and other units that support and maintain general library operations. The following information describes current mail handling procedures.
- All regular USPS mail received at the Gelman Library loading dock is sorted and distributed at least once per day, Monday through Friday, to a designated centralized "in-box" in a location identified by each department in the Library (see lists below).
- Items delivered by FedEx, UPS, and other private courier services are delivered as they arrive.
- Couriers from WRLC, Iron Mountain, WEPA, and other library affiliates pick up and deliver items on a pre-arranged schedule and coordinate deliveries or pick-ups directly with the associated department(s).
- Outgoing library mail is picked up at the same time regular mail is delivered to a department’s designated in-box, if placed in an adjacent designated "out-box."
- When operationally necessary, both library and non-library departments will be contacted by loading dock staff to retrieve mail or special deliveries.
When pre-arranged or otherwise unique deliveries or shipments require special handling, or are expected to block the usage of the loading dock by others for long periods of time, departments should notify loading dock staff in well in advance to schedule those activities or to make appropriate adjustments.
Designated Gelman Library Mail Delivery & Pick-Up Locations
- Lower Level: Public Services Coordinator's office in B01-A
- First Floor: Library Ops in 102, Collections Management in 104, Gifts Processing in 107
- Second Floor: Circulation in 225, Access Services in 220
- Third Floor: Research & User Services in 303
- Sixth Floor: Finance, Development, and Communications in 602; Human Resources in 606; LIT in 607
- Seventh Floor: Special Collections in 704, GRC in 708
Locations of Non-LAI Departments in Gelman Library
- Room 221: Writing Center – 202-994-3765
- Suite 701: National Security Archive – 202-994-7000
- Suite 709: University Professors – 202-994-8690
Note: Other buildings have separate mail systems in place.
- GWLAI Departments and Organization
- Senior Leadership Team
- Communications and Events
- Finance Division
- HR & Professional Development
- Library Information
- Library Building Spaces
- 106 Conference Room
- 201B Research Consultation Room
- 201C Research Consultation Room
- 218A Study Room
- 219 Study Room
- 220C Conference Room
- 300 Classroom
- 301-302 Classrooms
- 303A Huddle Space
- 303B Conference Room
- 502 Conference Room
- 602E Huddle Space
- 605A Conference Room
- 606Q Conference Room
- 706 Conference Room
- 708A Conference Room
- Eckles 143 Conference Room
- GW Libraries' Pet Policy
- Information in Case of Emergencies
- Statistics and Facts
- Technology Assistance
- Web Content Editing Guidelines