External Guest Visitation
If you have guests attending meetings at Gelman Library, please email Entrance Services with the names of the guests and time of their arrival. You can let the guests know they will be expected to show identification. You may want to meet them at the entrance to provide assistance. Please note that entrance to Gelman Library and use of library resources and services are extended to users affiliated with university and library consortia, local residents associations, and other groups. You can review these entrance policies.
Parking Validation for Guests
Parking validation is available for guests visiting GWLAI librarians and staff. Review the GWLAI Parking Validation Policy and Procedures.
Meeting Rooms, Event Spaces, and Classrooms
Conference Rooms and Huddle Spaces
|Desktop Computer||Display Screen||Clickshare||Web Conferencing||Desktop Phone||Conference Phone||Support Telephone|
|106 (huddle space)||Laptop||Yes||–||–||4-9322||–|
|220C (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||–||4-7615||Yes|
|303A (huddle space)||–||w/ HDMI cord||–||–||4-5846||–||–|
|303B (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Yes||4-0632||Yes|
|502 (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||–||4-3343||Yes|
|602E (huddle space)||–||w/ HDMI cord||–||Yes||4-5836||–||–|
|605A (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||–||4-4018||Yes|
|606Q (conference room)||Coming||Yes||Yes||Yes||–||4-7790||Coming|
|706 (conference room)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||–||4-6641||Yes|
|710 (meeting space)|
Research Assistance and Consultation Spaces
Academic Event Spaces
Library Instruction Classrooms
Note that these spaces are reservable only through Academic Scheduling
Gelman Classroom and Conference Room Extensions
- Conference Room 106: 202-994-9322
- Classroom 300: 202-994-0633
- Classroom 301: 202-994-7246
- Classroom 302: 202-994-7147
- Huddle Space 303A: 202-994-5846
- Conference Room 502: 202-994-3343
- Huddle Space 602E: 202-994-5836
- Conference Room 605A: 202-994-4018
- Conference Room 606Q: 202-994-7790
- Room 702 (IBT): 202-994-7444
Facilities and Maintenance
For any issues with the Gelman Library building and facilities:
Submit a ticket to Library Building Operations
Email [email protected]
Staff can reserve conference and meeting rooms using their Google calendar.
Adding rooms to your Google calendar
- Open your calendar and click the plus icon (+) to the right of the "Add a coworker's calendar" box. Select Browse resources. Note: if you know the name of the room, you can type it directly in the "Add a coworker's calendar" box.
- Select FB-Gelman. A list of rooms will appear.
- Choose the building from the list and subscribe to rooms you want to see and book.
Scheduling a conference/meeting room
- Highlight the day and time you wish to schedule your meeting
- Enter a name for your meeting in the highlighted box
- Click More Options at the bottom of the dialog box. This will bring up a new page.
- Click the grey Rooms on the far right beside Guests.
- Buildings appear in the box below Rooms. Scroll to find your building and click the carat beside it to display all the available rooms at that day and time.
- Click the room you want to schedule.
- Click the red Save button at the top of the page to finish your reservation.
Please note: Some Gelman Library rooms have limited access for viewing and scheduling. If you are unable to add a calendar you believe should be accessible, please submit a support request to Library Information Technology or email [email protected].
Access for Meetings and Events
Rooms 502, 706, and 708D require a code for entrance.
Room 702 (International Brotherhood of Teamsters Room) is both locked and alarmed except during business hours. Please arrange for access and disabling the alarm with the person who schedules your event (Robin Delaloye or a Special Collections staff member).
Access for Offices
If you are a new employee or need a personal key to your own office space please contact Entrance Services.
Gelman Mail Handling
The Gelman Library loading dock is located at 2130 H Street, NW, Room 103-A. Its primary purpose is to receive and ship library mail, materials and related equipment. It is also the main entry point for most Facilities Services units and other units that support and maintain general library operations. The following information describes current mail handling procedures.
- All regular USPS mail received at the Gelman Library loading dock is sorted and distributed at least once per day, Monday through Friday, to a designated centralized "in-box" in a location identified by each department in the Library (see lists below).
- Items delivered by FedEx, UPS, and other private courier services are delivered as they arrive.
- Couriers from WRLC, Iron Mountain, WEPA, and other library affiliates pick up and deliver items on a pre-arranged schedule and coordinate deliveries or pick-ups directly with the associated department(s).
- Outgoing library mail is picked up at the same time regular mail is delivered to a department’s designated in-box, if placed in an adjacent designated "out-box."
- When operationally necessary, both library and non-library departments will be contacted by loading dock staff to retrieve mail or special deliveries.
When pre-arranged or otherwise unique deliveries or shipments require special handling, or are expected to block the usage of the loading dock by others for long periods of time, departments should notify loading dock staff in well in advance to schedule those activities or to make appropriate adjustments.
Designated Gelman Library Mail Delivery & Pick-Up Locations
- Lower Level: Public Services Coordinator's office in B01-A
- First Floor: Library Ops in 102, Collections Management in 104, Gifts Processing in 107
- Second Floor: Circulation in 225, Access Services in 220
- Third Floor: Research & User Services in 303
- Sixth Floor: Finance, Development, and Communications in 602; Human Resources in 606; LIT in 607
- Seventh Floor: Special Collections in 704, GRC in 708
Locations of Non-LAI Departments in Gelman Library
- Room 221: Writing Center – 202-994-3765
- Suite 701: National Security Archive – 202-994-7000
- Suite 709: University Professors – 202-994-8690
Note: Other buildings have separate mail systems in place.
- GWLAI Departments and Organization
- Senior Leadership Team
- Communications and Events
- Finance Division
- HR & Professional Development
- GW Libraries Staff Information
- Gelman Library Building Spaces
- 101 and 101A Academic Event Space (NCLC)
- 106 Conference Room
- 201B Consultation Room
- 201C Research Consultation Room
- 218A Academic Event and Study Room
- 219 Academic Event and Study Room
- 220C Conference Room
- 300 Classroom
- 301-302 Classrooms
- 303A Huddle Space
- 303B Conference Room
- 502 Conference Room
- 602E Huddle Space
- 605A Conference Room
- 606Q Conference Room
- 702 Academic Event Space (IBT)
- 706 Conference Room
- 708A Conference Room
- 710 Academic Event Space
- GW Libraries' Pet Policy
- Information in Case of Emergencies
- Statistics and Facts
- Alma Transition
- Technology Assistance