Faculty Development supports faculty in their teaching by focusing on course design, teaching techniques and pedagogy, and research on teaching and learning.
Faculty Development involves as many faculty members as possible to help deliver workshops and to provide guidance and advice so our programs stay current and relevant. All programs and services are offered free of charge to all GW faculty.
Faculty Development has several signature programs during the year:
- Teaching Day, in early fall, brings faculty from across GW together to talk about teaching. The day includes a keynote by a nationally-known speaker, concurrent teaching sessions by GW faculty, and a faculty Scholarship of Teaching & Learning (SoTL) poster session.
- The Teaching Network for Early Career provides newer faculty with grounding in the latest, research-supported teaching approaches. Faculty practice new techniques with support and feedback from their peers. This cohort programs runs from October to April.
- The Course Design Institute in May brings faculty together for a week to (re)design a course using a backward design process, active learning techniques, and research on student motivation, all in a social and supportive environment.
On an ongoing basis, one-on-one teaching consultations and classroom observations are available. Workshops are offered on a range of in person and online focused teaching topics.
- GWLAI Departments and Organization
- Academic Commons
- Communications, Outreach, and Events
- Center for Undergraduate Fellowships and Research
- Financial Operations and Administration
- Human Resources
- Access Services
- Digital Services
- Eckles Library
- Global Resources Center
- National Churchill Library and Center
- Research and User Services
- Resource Description Group
- Resource Sharing and Course Reserves
- Scholarly Technology
- Serial and Electronic Resources
- Special Collections Research Center
- Virginia Science & Technology Campus Library
- Faculty Development
- Instructional Technology Lab
- Instructional Design
- Senior Leadership Team
- Communications and Events
- Finance Division
- HR & Professional Development
- Library Information
- Library Building Spaces
- Information in Case of Emergencies
- Statistics and Facts
- Commonly-Used GW Acronyms
- Technology Assistance
- Web Content Editing Guidelines