The Council of Librarians was formed in 1967 to provide a codified framework for librarians to participate in the strategic planning process and personnel-related activities for the libraries. The Council of Librarians is composed of librarians from Gelman and Eckles libraries and governed by a Code and By-Laws (linked below.) The Council meets bimonthly and more frequently as needed.
As stated in the By-Laws, the purpose of the Council of Librarians is to:
- Provide a venue for librarians and Library administration to interact and to discuss issues of substance that affect the services we provide to the public, the collections we build, and the liaisons we build with the University academic departments.
- Provide a formal structure for the librarians as a whole to participate proactively in the Strategic Planning process.
- Provide a forum for supporting professional development and the exchange of ideas on matters that impact us as professional librarians within GW and the wider profession.
- Define the requirements and procedures for personnel actions affecting librarians in the GW Libraries. These include appointment, reappointment, promotion, performance review, grievance, and termination. The Council of Librarians also defines the professional responsibilities and general conditions of work for librarians in the GW Libraries.
2021-2022 Council of Librarians Meeting Schedule
The following schedule is tentative and may change. Additional meetings may be sadded to this chedule. Please contact the Secretary or Chair to confirm. Agenda is posted 1-2 weeks in advance of meeting and minutes are posted after approval at the subsequent meeting.
- Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Tuesday, November 16, 2021 at 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Minutes from September 20, 2020 meeting (PDF)
- Minutes from November 17, 2020 meeting (PDF)
- Minutes from January 12, 2021 meeting (PDF)
- Minutes from March 9, 2021 meeting (PDF)
- Minutes for May 3, 2021 meeting (PDF)
- Minutes for June 2, 2021 special meeting meeting (PDF)
- Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 1:00-2:30pm
The Librarian Code (PDF) explains the governance structure for the librarians of the GW Libraries of the George Washington University, which recognizes librarian participation in, and contribution to, the university's educational mission. GW Libraries strives to recruit, develop, and retain an active professional library staff who can support the functions of a major teaching and research institution. To that end, GW Libraries rewards continuous learning, scholarship, and professional achievement. All librarians must participate in activities, both formal and informal, that enhance their work and advance their professional growth.
By-Laws/Rules of Procedure
The Librarian Bylaws (PDF) contains rules regarding the membership, officers, meetings, and committees for the Council of Librarians.
This resolution asserts the Council's recommendation that should the University require FY21 LAI budget reductions that we consider the collections budget as an area for cost reduction.
Resolution 21-1: Outlining Principles and Procedures for Opening Regular Council Meetings to All, adopted October 30, 2020 (PDF)
This resolution outlines the principles and procedures for open attendance at all regular Council meetings and reasserts the Council's committment to transparency, inclusivity, and collaboration.
2021-2022 Council of Librarian Officers
- Chair: Megan Potterbusch
- Vice-Chair/Chair, Elect: Dorinne Banks
- Parliamentarian: Deborah Bezanson
- Secretary: Brigette Kamsler
Council Executive Committee is comprised of Council officers and the Chair of each Council committee.
2021-2022 Council of Librarian Committees
Code & By-Laws Committee
- Bill Gillis, Chair (2021-2023)
- Yan He (2020-2022)
- Ann James (2020-2022)
- Josh McDonald (2021-2023)
Librarian Review and Development Committee
- Peter Cohn (2021-2023)
- Kelly Grogg (2021-2023)
- Jennifer King (2020-2022)
- Vakil Smallen (2020-2022)
- Morgan Stoddard (2020-2022)
- Laura Wrubel- Alternate (2021-2022)
- Amal Cavender (2021-2023)
- Shira Eller (2021-2023)
- Jennifer Froetschel (2020-2022)
- Cathy Zeljak (2020-2022)
- David Ettinger - Alternate (2021-2022)
- GWLAI Departments and Organization
- Senior Leadership Team
- Communications and Events
- Finance Division
- HR & Professional Development
- Library Information
- Library Building Spaces
- Information in Case of Emergencies
- Statistics and Facts
- Technology Assistance
- Web Content Editing Guidelines