Access to Primo VE
We now have access to Primo VE with GW and WRLC data loaded in. The Primo Usability and Configuration Task Force is seeking feedback.
What is Alma and Primo?
Alma and Primo will be GW’s and Washington Research Library Consortium’s (WRLC) next-generation integrated library system / e-resource management system and discovery interface. In addition, GW’s medical library, Himmelfarb, and law library, Burns, will also adopt Alma and Primo. These are cloud-based products of the company Ex Libris, which is owned by ProQuest.
- Alma will replace Voyager, Sierra, 360 Resource Manager, 360 Link (also called the Find It button), and Summon.
- Primo will replace the Classic / WRLC Catalog, the GW catalog (also called Launchpad), Summon, Articles Plus, Find It, and the My Library Account portal.
What is an integrated library system?
Alma integrates many essential library functions into one system. Functions include ordering, receiving and paying for books and electronic resources; adding descriptions of those new materials; checking items out and keeping track of them; and managing our magazine, journals and newspaper subscriptions. It is also possible to include other types of resources like web pages and equipment to make them available to users.
Primo is the search engine user interface that makes the materials in Alma accessible and discoverable to patrons.
Who are the core members of this team?
Please contact any member of the team with questions or concerns regarding Alma or Primo. Team members here are listed along with their areas of focus, as referred to in Ex Libris terminology:
- Laura Wrubel (Global/WRLC and External Integrations)
- Glenn Canner (Resource Sharing)
- Christopher Gross (eResources)
- TJ Kao (Resource Management)
- Joscelyn Leventhal (Primo)
- Jennifer Wesson (Fulfillment)
- Joyce Whitmore (Acquisitions).
Note: Resource Management is another term for metadata and cataloging, while fulfillment refers to circulation.
|September 2017||Pre-implementation. WRLC institutions begin weekly calls with Ex Libris|
|November 2017||The formal implementation process with Ex Libris begins|
|November-December 2017||Ex Libris loads WRLC records into Alma|
|January 2018||Alma and Primo test sites available|
|July 2018||Alma and Primo go live|
Stay up to date
- Watch the weekly WebEx meetings with our Ex Libris project managers.
- #alma-primo channel in Slack
- Watch for scheduled meetings, including a "Lean Coffee" discussion, where you decide the topics.
- Training will be provided starting in February. Your exact training time is dependent on your area.
- In the meantime, you are welcome to find out more with articles and videos in Ex Libris’ Knowledge Center.